May 5, Cinco de Mayo in Spanish, is a celebration day for Mexican-American culture. On this date in the Mystery Year, Mexico defeated the invading French army in the Battle of Pueblo. To find the year, students solve math clues that involve evaluating expressions, remainders in division, and converting a number in base 5 to base 10.
Your Zip download includes printable/digital PDFs:
- 1-page printable Student Puzzle
- 1-page Answer Key with sample solutions
- 1-page version of puzzle with expanding form fields – use with Acrobat Reader
- A complete file including the student puzzle, answer key, 2 pages of Teacher Notes including step-by-step Solutions, Extensions, Historical Notes, and more
- 1-page How to Use History-Mystery Puzzles